Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Obligatory Test Post/Mission Statement

Testing... Testing? Is this thing on? I said IS THIS THI-- Whoa! Feedback. Feedback. Ow. My ears. Jesus. I... I'm okay. Just give me a minute. Ow.

Okay then. Welcome, one and all, to the premiere post of Anti-Oscar, the latest "web log" (or "blog," as the gentleman on the morning news show calls them) devoted to movies that... well, that might fall by the wayside before the more casual filmgoer can get to it. These are the movies that collect dust at the back of the video store (or, more accurately these days, in the dumpster behind the Starbucks that used to be a video store). The ones that you find for a dollar at Walgreens because the copyright holders are fly-by-night distribution companies that have long since fled the country to dodge tax evasion charges. The ones that Quentin Tarantino watches.

I hesitate to call this a "bad" movie blog, because that phrase has long since lost all meaning for me. When someone asks me if a movie is any good, I can only shrug and tell them whether I enjoyed it or not. To me, something like Troll 2 is a FANTASTIC movie, because it's so much goddamn fun to watch. On the flip side, do you remember the movie Seabiscuit? It was one of the big Oscar contenders just a few years ago. I'll bet you even saw it. Can you remember one thing about it, other than that it had Tobey Maguire on a horse? So I cry foul, society! Who are you to declare what is a bad movie?

That said, there are going to be a lot of very, very bad movies on this site.

So anyway, that's the basic modus operandi around here. I'm going to try to shoot for a review a week, give or take a few. Needless to say, it'll probably take some time for me to firm up a voice and a format, so if you have any suggestions for improvement, by all means let me know. Even better, if you know a movie that you think needs to be on here, send it my way, and no matter how painful, I will subject myself to it.

Goff out!

1 comment:

Jared said...

welcome to the "I have a blog now, but I don't really know what to do with it" crowd.